Last week, we introduced our natural makeup series with eyeliner options. This week, it’s all about lipsticks!
Lipsticks instantly add a pop of color to one’s face and millions of women apply it everyday without a second’s thought. But, did you know that many lipsticks contain lead, a dangerous metal that can cause learning, language and behavioral problems? Lead is a neurotoxin and can be harmful even in small doses. In the FDA’s recent research of 400 lipsticks, most contain trace amounts of lead. Imagine the potential of lead ingestion for women who reapply their lipstick multiple times throughout the day! What’s disappointing is the FDA does not believe minimal amounts of lead to be a problem, although medical researchers believe otherwise.
Another study found many lipstick and lipgloss brands contain as many as eight other metals: cadmium, cobalt, aluminum, titanium, manganese, chromium, copper and nickel. What happens to the body if these metals are swallowed and absorbed on a daily basis? The metals don’t just disappear from the body, they continue to build up over a person’s lifespan and have the potential to cause many health issues. Cadmium, for example, is a carcinogen that has been found in breast cancer biopsies and shown to cause cancer cells to multiply in lab experiments.
What can we do? Definitely avoid drugstore brand lipsticks, as those were the ones that had the highest lead concentration in the FDA study. Make sure to blot your lipstick on a napkin after applying. Also, try not to reapply your lipstick a million times throughout the day! And of course, check out our BDS approved natural lipstick options.
1. Bite Beauty – Ladies, I can’t begin to tell you how excited we were to find out about this wonderful brand!! When we were testing out their products, I believe the phrases “OMG”, “Love it!”, and “Gawwwjus” were said over and over again, along with a lot of excited squealsAll of their products are made with natural and organic ingredients, and they also taste and smell absolutely yummy! And the best part is, the colors are to die for! We fell in love with every color we tried. Another reason why we are so in love with these lipsticks is because they stay on literally allll day long! You can eat and wipe and you will still have enough color on the lips to get away without a reapplication. We couldn’t pick just one product to list because we loved them all equally. Even their lip-care products are impressive. They are sold exclusively at Sephora, but if you are fortunate enough to live in NYC, then go to their liplab and create your very own color! Paraben, sulfate, polybutene, petroleum byproducts, phlathlates, and gluten free. Where to buy: Sephora, bitebeauty.com, Lip Lab NYC
2. Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint: Not only is this lipstick hydrating, but it also leaves your lips with a refreshing feel due to the mint that’s in it. The lipstick comes in matte and a shiny finish. There are many beautiful colors to choose from! Tarte is free of parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, and gluten. Where to buy: Sephora, Ulta, www.tarte.com
3. Hourglass Liquid Lipstick – This would be my second most favorite brand, after Bite. All of their lip products are amazing, but I especially LOVE the liquid lipsticks. The colors are also gorgeous, but the one that was my favorite is their best seller called “Icon”, it is quite possibly the most gorgeous shade of red I’ve ever worn! Definitely recommend trying it if you’re like me and constantly on the lookout for the perfect red. The lip liners were also really nice and creamy. Formulated without parabens, sulfates and phthalates. Contains no GMOs, triclosan, synthetic frangances or dyes. Where to buy: Sephora, Hourglasscosmetics.com
4. Juice Beauty Reflecting Gloss– This lip gloss is made from organic antioxidant-rich berries, sesame oil, vitamin E, and agave. It gives a brilliant shine and is also anti-aging! I liked it because the lip gloss was non-sticky and the colors were gorgeous (comes in limited colors: fig, champagne, pink, and guava). Their formulations are made without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. Where to buy: Ulta, juicebeauty.com
5. Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner – This highly rated product c ombines organic ingredients to soothe and condition the lips. The beautiful colors come on sheer but increase in intensity when applied liberally. I have dry lips so I was pleasantly surprised to see the shade lasted all day and my lips were still moist! Definitely recommend. Also check out their lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip crayons! Where to buy: iliabeauty.com
6. Zuzu Luxe Lipstick – Probaby one of the most “pure” lipsticks I have ever come across! It is completely vegan and comes in a wide range of colors from Obsession (light pink) to Siren (bright red). Their lipsticks are moisture-rich and glide on smoothly. You won’t be disappointed! Where to buy: Whole Foods, gabrielcosmeticsinc.com
Make sure you subscribe to our blog so you never miss a post. Next week, we will list natural mascaras!