I love cooking all kinds of different cuisines, but there is nothing like home cooked desi food. One of my favorite Pakistani dishes is Karahi Chicken. It’s tasty, super quick and easy to make, and only requires a few ingredients!
I have a few different versions for making karahi chicken, but this one is by far my most favorite and the simplest.
– 2 lb chicken
– 4 medium tomatoes
– 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt
– 6 cloves of garlic
– 1 inch piece of ginger
– 1 tsp salt
– 2/3 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp crushed dried coriander
– 10 whole peppercorns
– 2 green chilies
– Half a bunch of fresh cilantro
1. Heat up oil in a karahi (wok). Add in chicken along with grated garlic cloves and half of the ginger root. I prefer to use fresh instead of a pre-made paste in recipes such as this, because the taste of ginger and garlic really shines through and makes the dish a lot more tastier! I grate mine with this:
3. Add in spices, tomatoes, yogurt, and 1 of the green chilies. Mix well.
4. Cover and let cook on low heat for 20 minutes. The oil should separate and the water will have dried.
5. Cut up the remaining ginger and chili pepper in long, thin strips to use for garnish. Add cilantro. And you’re all done!
If you would like yours to have more masala, then increase the amount of tomatoes and yogurt in the recipe.