Blush adds a healthy glow to the skin and instantly brightens one’s complexion. In the olden days, women used to pinch their cheeks so they could have rosy cheeks! If you’re trying to go green with your makeup, then most department and drugstore brand blushes contain ingredients that can be toxic or irritating to the skin. Most blushes contain:
– Talc, which may be contaminated with carcinogenic asbestos fibers. According to the US National Toxicology Panel, talc can be toxic and carcinogenic even if it is free of asbestos.
– Silicia is damaging to the lungs and respiratory system.
– Alumina, an anti-caking agent, is considered to be neurotoxin.
– Coal dye tars (D&C Red 7 Lake and FD&C Yellow Aluminum 5 Lake), used to provide color in blushes, are also neurotoxic.
– Parabens are used as a preservative (along with BHT and diazolidinyl urea) and can disrupt the endocrine system and have been found in breast cancer tumors.
Sounds scary, right? We recently dumped all our synthetic makeup and have opted for natural makeup brands after reading about their harmful effects to the body. The skin is the largest organ and considering we wear makeup for 8-10 hours daily, it must have some negative impact in the long run since it is absorbed via the skin.
Luckily, there are many wonderful “green” makeup companies that are cruelty free and also eco-conscious (they are also not on the BDS list). We have gathered a list of our favorite natural blushes below. Also, check out our past posts on eyeliner, lipstick, mascara, and nail polish.
1. Afterglow Organic Infused Mineral Blush – Goes on velvety smooth and comes in 8 different colors, including both matte and shimmery. It has great staying power, won’t need to reapply throughout the day! No parabens, nanos, bismuth oxychloride, gluten or talc. 100% natural ingredients. Where to buy: afterglowcosmetics.com
2. Juice Beauty Glowing Cheek Color – This natural blush comes in two colors, pink and fig. It is made with organic fruit extracts, grapeseed, vitamin E, and minerals. Juice Beauty’s blush is made without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. Where to buy: Ulta, juicebeauty.com
3. Zuii Organic Flora Blush – Zuii’s blush is talc-free and made from rose petals, jasmine buds, and chamomile. Where to buy: zuiiorganic.com
4. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush – These blushes come in 6 different shades packaged in a beautiful gold case. Goes on smoothly and has a fair amount of pigment. Talc free. Where to buy: Sephora
5. Physicans Formula Organic Wear 100% Blush – an economical drugstore choice that is organic and natural! Comes in six different shades. Free of synthetic preservatives, parabens, GMOs, and it’s cruelty-free. Where to buy: major drugstores
6. Vapour Organic Beauty Aura Multi-Use Blush- It’s not only a blush, but can also be used on lips and eyes. Contains 70% organic ingredients, 30% minerals, and comes in six different shades. Where to buy: vapourbeauty.com, amazon.com