Hearty, flavorful, and so satisfying! One of my all time favorite recipes to make. It may be a soup, but it’s filling enough to be a whole meal on its own. It’s definitely a comfort food, but somewhat healthy 🙂
I have two methods I use to make it, one in slow cooker, the other on stove-top. Both are equally easy to make. I usually do it on stove-top because when the craving for this hits, there is no way I can wait 6 hours to eat it! Especially if I’m going to be home and smelling those yummy aroma’s all day!
– 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
– 1 can black beans
– 5 cups chicken broth
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 2 tsp roughly ground cumin
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 can corn kernels
– 1 can roasted diced tomatoes
– 3 jalapeños, finely diced
– 1 large yellow onion, chopped
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– 1 red bell pepper
– 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
– salt, to taste
– Sour cream
– Red onion
– Shredded monterey cheese
– Corn tortilla chips
1. Sprinkle half of the cumin, paprika, and red chili powder onto the chicken breasts and bake them on 325 for 15-20 minutes. Take out of oven and shred. You can skip this step and just let chicken cook with the soup, but I prefer to cook the chicken almost all the way before adding it to soup.
2. Heat olive oil and add diced onions, jalapeños, and red bell pepper. Cook for few minutes. Then add in garlic and remaining spices. I add extra chili powder, depending on how much heat you like in your soup! Fry for about a minute.
3. Add in broth, chicken, diced tomatoes with juices, rinsed black beans, tomato paste, corn kernels.
4. Mix everything well and give it a nice boil. Make sure to check the salt at this point. Add in some more if needed, be sure not to under salt! Then reduce heat, cover and let cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Before serving, pour into bowl and top it off with sliced avocado, cilantro, wedge of lime, spoonful of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese and onions, and a handful of tortilla chips! The toppings are just as important in this soup as the rest of the ingredients, so don’t skimp out on this part!
Slow Cooker Method:
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
2. Add all the ingredients into crock pot and cook 8 hours on low or 6 hours on medium.
3. Add on toppings and enjoy!