Herbal remedies are the oldest and most natural forms of therapy. I’m sure many of us can remember a time when we were sick and our grandmothers told us what to take. The Prophet (SAW) said:
There is no disease that Allah has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment.” (Bukhari)
In today’s modern world, we seem to have forgotten about these natural remedies and immediately turn to pharmaceutical drugs. But the ingredients you can find in your kitchen can be beneficial, without any dangerous side effects that are so common with pills. A common ingredient in many of these remedies is honey. No wonder it is mentioned in the Quran as a source for healing.
Now that winter is here, so are colds, coughs, and sore throats. Try these remedies the next time you get sick instead of popping those pills.
- Boil 1 inch piece of ginger in 1 cup of water. Let it boil 8-10 times. Sweeten with 1/2 tsp honey and drink while hot.
- Add the juice of two lemons in 2.5 cups of boiling water. Sweeten with honey and rink at bed time.
- Add 1 tsp carom seeds and 1 tsp turmeric to 2.5 cups of boiling water. Let it cool and take 1 Tbsp of this mixture with 1 tsp of honey
- Crush a handful of carom seeds and tie it up in a napkin. Place near your pillow. This will help with congestion.
- Eat raw garlic, it is a powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal. Raw garlic contains Allicin, a nutrient that helps strengthen the immune system and fight off viruses.
- Mix equal parts of honey and ginger. Fresh ginger is best or you can use ginger powder. Take 1 tsp 2-4 times a day.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric with 1 cup of warm milk.
- Drink a glass of warm water with the juice of 1 lime and 1-2 tsp of honey.
- Chew a clove with a pinch of salt.
- Gargle with warm salt water at least twice a day, without making gargling sounds
- Mix 1/2 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice. Take every 1-2 hours.
- Heat a cup of milk until warm. Add 1-2 pinches of turmeric and mix. Drink at night.
Don’t forget to get plenty of rest and drink lots of water when you are sick. Take these remedies with certainty that you WILL get better, for Allah has created a cure for every ailment!