I was first introduced to Trader Joe’s by my sister, Ayesha (she likes to think everything I know is because of her). At first I wasn’t really into it, but once I knew what to buy, I was hooked! Being a Trader Joe’s shopper is kind of like being in a cult, and only those who love Trader Joe’s will understand. So naturally, I was disappointed when I first moved to Dallas and found out there were no TJ’s here. But thankfully, within a few months I learned they were going to open a few stores in Dallas! I think Ayesha thought she had something to do with that!
Trader Joe’s is not your average grocer. There’s something about it that makes it special and addictive. The prices on some items, especially organic ones, are affordable. The Trader Joe’s label carries all types of products in a variety of cuisines (even Indian!). All products under the Trader Joe’s label contain:
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- No synthetic colors
- No MSG
- No partially hydrogenated oils
- No genetically modified ingredients
Can’t get any better than that! But we know that going to Trader Joe’s for the first time can be overwhelming. That’s why we put this guide together to help you the next time you go in!
1. Silver Dollar Pancakes: Sometimes my daughter requests pancakes on weekdays. These are a perfect alternative if you don’t have time to make fresh ones. It’s the perfect size and my daughter loves them!
2. Hash Browns: We love making these on the weekends. They carry tater tots, shredded hash browns, and regular hash browns. All of them taste good!
3. Blueberry Pancakes: I never appreciated “artificially colored and flavored” blueberry waffles at the grocery stores. I did not want to be feeding by kids fake food, so I was thrilled when I came across these waffles. They are a breakfast staple at my home!
4. Frozen Pastas: These pastas are great to stock up on when you don’t know what to eat for lunch. My daughter loves the Mac and Cheese!
5. Wild Blue Shrimp: A great price for wild shrimp! It’s not chewy like most frozen shrimp. Try adding it to your next pasta or rice dish.
6. Frozen vegetables: We love all the frozen veggies! Our favs are the corn, green beans, and frozen broccoli. They carry organic and conventional vegetables so you can pick whatever fits your budget.
7. Fruits and vegetables: there are many fruits that are organic and affordably priced! I always get bananas from here because they are only 19 cents each! Our other favorites include the Persian Cucumbers, Brussels Sprouts, and Baby Carrots.
8. Bagged Salads: There are so many varieties and many are only $1.99, even for organic! Our favorites are the Cruciferous Mix, Baby Spinach, and Romaine Mix.
9. Hummus: mmmmmm it’s so good and creamy with a hint of lemon! My 4 year old is obsessed with their hummus. We eat it with Trader Joe’s pita chips.
10. Chunky Guacamole: this is one of the best guacamole dips I have ever tried! It has a little bit of spice and is made with Greek yogurt, which makes it even healthier! Perfect with the tortilla chips from the chip section!
11. Nuts and Dried Fruit: Trader Joes has a wide variety of nuts and dried food at an unbeatable price. You can even find the more exotic nuts like pine nuts. My daughter loves their dried Mango Slices, they are a sweet and delicious snack.
12. Cream Cheese: I love the whipped cream cheese here. It’s so soft and creamy! Perfect with the bagels that you can also find at TJ’s! Best of all, no preservatives!
13. NY Style Cheesecake: I am obsessed with their cheesecake. It’s perfect for when guests come over and seriously tastes homemade. I spruce it up by adding fresh fruit or fruit jam over the top and placing it on top of a nice cake stand!
14. Cookie Butter: if you haven’t tried this yet, you are totally missing out. This product is one of the biggest sellers at Trader Joe’s. I love putting this on bread and eating it with a big glass of milk. They also carry a version with pieces of cookies in it.
15. Cookies: we love all of the cookies carried by TJ’s. Our favs include the Dunkers and Cats Cookies. The kids also like their ABC cookies 🙂
16. Joe-Joe’s: These are a “healthier” version or Oreo’s without all the artificial crap! Comes in gluten free form too and various flavors. I have to hide this box whenever I buy it otherwise my daughter will finish the whole box
17. Chocolate Chips: these are great for baking and are cheaper than grocery store prices! They carry semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips. My daughter likes to put them on the Silver Dollar Pancakes. Look out for white chocolate chips around the holiday time.
18. Triple Ginger Snaps: this is another top seller at Trader Joe’s. I love having this with my morning chai.
20. Popping Corn: this is what we use when we make homemade popcorn. Can’t eat that bagged stuff anymore! I love mixing in some salt and pepper into my popcorn. Bonus: certified non-GMO!
21. Bite Size Everything Crackers: these crackers remind me of “everything” flavored bagels. It’s so tasty with a dip and even on its own.
22. Chips: we love all the chips at TJ’s. There are so many different kinds of tortilla chips. Our favorites include the Baked Cheese Crunchies and Sour Cream and Onion Corn Puffs.
Be sure to ask the employees for help if you need it. They are all super nice and you can even try any product before you buy it – just ask! They have a generous return policy too: if you don’t like a product, just bring it back for a complete refund! Also, don’t forget the sample station they have in the back of the store! What are some of your favorite products at Trader Joe’s?