I’ve been meaning to try overnight oats for a while but never got around to it even though it looks so easy. Well, I finally tried it last night and had my test subjects (husband and kids) taste it in the AM – they loved it! They had a fun time adding in their fruit toppings – flavors ranged from Chocolate Raspberry, Strawberry Coconut, Blueberry Granola, and Blackberry Almond!
These are great for those hectic mornings when you’re on the go and have no time to prepare breakfast. They also make an excellent Suhoor during Ramadan. All you do is mix the ingredients together the night before, let it soak overnight, and eat it in the morning! Simple, nutritious, versatile, and portable – give these overnight oats a try!
- ¼ cup uncooked rolled oats
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 TB yogurt
- ½ tsp chia seeds
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp honey (or preferred sweetener)
- ¼ cup your choice of berries
- misc toppings and mix-ins: cocoa powder, toasted coconut, granola, sliced almonds, ground flax seeds
- In a half pint jar or container, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, almond extract, and honey. Stir well and cover. Place in fridge overnight. In the morning, add in your chopped fruit or toppings. You can alternatively add the fruit into the jar the night before.