For a lot of moms (if you’re lucky), showers are the only time of the day where they can relax, even if it’s while the kids are banging on the door! People usually don’t think twice when choosing a bodywash at the store, and may pick up whatever bodywash is on sale or buy what they’ve always used as a child. Unfortunately, the majority of soaps and bodywashes are filled with harsh ingredients that may be harmful for the skin and our health. So while your’re cleansing your body, you are also exposing it to harsh detergents, preservatives, and fragrances. Some of these harmful ingredients include:
Parabens – These are used as a preservative in a number of beauty and health products. Known to cause irritations and numerous studies have found it to cause hormone disruption, which may lead to breast cancer and reproductive toxicity.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Sulfates acts as a foaming detergent and are commonly found in soap, shampoos, and other cleaners. It may irritate the eyes and skin.
Fragrances – This is a tough one to avoid because the majority of shampoos use it, and let’s face it, we all love it when we smell like delicious fruit. But this is the one ingredient that should be avoided! Fragrance is often listed under the name “Phthalates” which can have some serious side effects including birth defects, cancer, and hormonal disruption. Opt for natural scented products or unscented ones which you can add essential oils in to give them fragrance.
Here are some of our favorite body washes that received a favorable rating on EWG’s Skin Deep Database.
1. Acure Cell Stimulating Body Wash: Made with organic ingredients, chemical free, and vegan. Contains argan oil so leaves skin soft. The almond scent is amazing! Where to buy: amazon, acureorganics.com, Whole Foods, Target
2. Acure Exfoliating Body Wash Pure Mint and Lilac Stem Cell: Another Acure product we love! Acure is paraben, sulfate, gluten, and cruelty free. No harsh chemical fragrances and it is 100% biodegradable. This one also contains argan oil. Skin feels baby soft after using this! Where to buy: acureorganics.com, Whole Foods
3. Cetaphil Restoraderm: This stuff is great for people who suffer from eczema and dry skin. Soothes the skin and leaves it soft. Doctors often prescribe this body wash for children with eczema. Where to buy: Amazon, Walmart, Target
4. Dr. Bronners Pure Castille Soap: This multi-purpose cleaner is a holy grail among natural product enthusiasts. Their soaps contain no synthetic oils and are scented with essential oils (lavender is my favorite!). Their labels make for a fun reading while you’re taking a shower. Where to buy: Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Amazon.
5. Finally Pure Foaming Shower Soap: I was really excited to find this brand! Their shower soaps are chemical and detergent free and 100% plant based. And best of all, there are a few different scents to choose from and they all smell amazing! Where to buy: Finallypure.com, Amazon
6. Soapy Soap Company: I was really excited when I saw this company at ISNA. We love supporting Muslim businesses, especially ones that use all-natural ingredients. They have a wide variety of bar soaps in many different scents. For those of you going on Hajj soon, they even sell a Hajj Kit that includes an unscented soap. Where to buy: soapysoapcompany.com, select Whole Foods.
7. Trillium Organics Body Soap: This is a certified organic company. Sulfate and petrochemical free product. Lathers up nicely and is gentle for the skin. made with natural scents. Great for dry and sensitive skin! Where to buy: Trilliumorganics.com
Hope you found this post useful! Check out our other series on the best natural makeup and body care products!