I’ve been working out consistently (this being the keyword, since I’m notorious for falling in and out of things :D) for the past four months and have been enjoying every minute of it. When I first started, my biggest issue was figuring out what to wear to the gym. I initially had a hard time finding modest workout apparel which: a) covered my bottom, b) wasn’t super tight, and c) was somewhat fashionable! The search was long and frustrating, but I found some great options that I will share with y’all in this post.
If you find a long top, make sure you buy it in every color! Seriously. Avoid light colors such as white because it will most likely be see-through and then you will have to end up layering. I usually size up in my tops for a more comfortable fit.
1. Wick-it Wader Coverup – This is my absolute favorite workout top because it is tunic length. It’s also perfect for wearing to the beach because it dries very quickly. Made of extremely breathable fabric with built in UPF 50+ protection.
2. Women’s Leightweight Zip Front Hoodie – This top is a two-in-one because the hood can double up as a hijab. I pull the strings so none of my hair shows and zip it up to the top. I plan to buy it in a few more colors since it is so versatile!
3. Nike Legend Long-Sleeve Training Shirt – This relaxed fitted shirt is made of a fast drying breathable material. I would size up for a more comfortable fit.
4. C9 Champion Supersoft Pullover– I have shirts similar to this, where the neck has the possibility of being fully covered. I simply use a turban wrap to cover my hair, helping me to feel more “free” when I am spinning hard in my biking classes! Comes in a wide range of colors.
1. Active Compression Leggings – My favorite pair of leggings to go under my long tops. It is so comfortable and great for high intensity workouts like spinning where you are moving your legs in a fast motion. Comes in a wide range of prints.
2. C9 Champion Performance Yoga Pant – A looser pant, great for yoga and lower intensity workouts.
3. Work It Skirted Leggings – I like how there’s an attached skirt on this legging, can be paired with a waist length long sleeve top.
4. Zella Live In Cosmic Space Dye Leggings – Loving the fun print on these leggings, can be paired with a multitude of different colored top for a super cute, modest look!
Everyone will have a personal preference as to what type of hijab to wear to the gym. I personally cannot stand having an additional layer of fabric covering my neck. It also depends on what kind of activity I am doing. If I am going to be doing vigorous exercise and will be sweating profusely, then I opt for a flat turban style headcover or simply use a hoodie. That way my neck has some air circulation and I’m still covered. If I’m doing something less intense, then I like to wear the Ninja hijab which is ever so comfortable since it is made out of jersey material. Wear what you are most comfortable with.
1. Original Buff – This versatile tube can be worn in a multitude of ways as pictured above. I do the cap style and pair it with a high neck workout top. Probably my best workout purchase ever!
2. Ninja Underhijab – Another favorite head cover of mine. I like it because it is seamless and one continuous piece of fabric. It is made out of jersey material so it’s very comfortable. No need to mess with pins or layers!
3. Turban One Piece Underhijab – This is another great option if you want to ensure all your hair is covered. Pair it with a high neck top for better coverage.
– Wear a high quality seamless sports bra or tank top under your workout shirt.
– Invest in a good pair of shoes and compression socks.
– Always bring a clean towel to the gym and a workout bag to store your keys and gym card.
Hope you found this post on modest workout wear helpful. Work out and stay fit while maintaing your lifestyle choices!