Most people only tend to exfoliate their faces, but ignore the rest of their skin. Truth is, the rest of our skin needs exfoliation just as much as our face to look its best and have that “glow” people desire so much! Our skin is the largest organ on our body, and a lot of toxins are released through it. The body benefits from the outside, as well as inside with dry brushing!
- Helps remove dead skin cells and encourages new ones, making skin smoother and brighter
- Helps remove ingrown hair
- Helps reduce appearance of cellulite
- Stimulates the lymphatic system to speed up the elimination of toxins. If the lymphatic system is not working properly, the waste and toxin build up can make you sick
- Helps with digestion and kidney function
- Increases body circulation and makes you feel energized and invigorated
- Helps tone muscle
- Make sure skin and brush are both completely dry
- A soft natural bristle brush like this one or this one is best
- Stand in shower or tub so the flakey skin doesn’t make a mess everywhere (gross, I know!). You can shower right after to clean up and further increase blood circulation
- Start at feet and gently yet firmly start brushing your skin, moving towards the heart. Continue up the legs and to the arms, always making sure you brush towards the heart. Take care not to brush too hard, especially on sensitive areas. Skin is typically flushed and pink afterwards, not painful and red. If you overbrush, or do it too hard, over time your skin might get thicker.
- You can either do long strokes towards the heart, or small circular strokes. I find this to be a personal preference
- Do not brush sensitive areas like nipples or face. Face exfoliating brushes are much softer
- Wash off with warm water, followed by a sprinkle of cold water to increase blood circulation
- Try brushing at least once a week or every time you shower or bathe to see best results
Taking the time out to dry brush is such an energizing and rejuvenating experience and I hope this will help you make it a part of your daily routine!